I have blogged already about how powerful it can be to use Knowledge Management to remove the managers' pain points, to “take the thorn out of the lion’s paw”.
But how do you find the pain points, that KM can fix?
Quite simple – you ask them what it is that they don’t know but wish they did. What are the business "I don't know"s that are keeping them awake at night?
You will get answers like these
I don’t know how to .....
- Sell Chocolate in rural China
- Halve the water use in my brewery
- Close down, maintain, and start up my refinery in just 3 weeks
- Avoid agglomerates in my Polyethylene plant
- Reduce my well costs by 25%, and still drill safely
These are the pain points. These are the thorns in the paw.
If you use KM to answer these questions, you remove the pain, demonstrate the value, and make powerful high-level allies!