Here is a fantastic slideset describing Knowledge Management at the Aerospace Systems department of Northrop Grumman, the US-based aerospace and defence organisation.
The Knowledge Management Framework in this organisation of 23,000 people contains the following elements:
- A 9-person KM team
- "Learning before, during and after processes" embedded in the work flow
- This includes peer assist, after action reviews, Retrospects and lesson-learning
- Transfer of tacit knowledge and job handover
- Knowledge and value stream mapping
- Over 200 communities of practice
- Supporting collaboration, web 2.0 and networking technology
- Online knowledge bases
- A collaborative office design
- A recognition and awards system for good KM performance
Congratulations to Bob and the team for a successful KM program, and the willingness to share this with others.